So it’s 4th of July weekend and we are spending the time quarantining together with the family. My brother decided to make burgers and as a vegetarian, I had black bean burgers made by yours truly! The brioche bun was also homemade, I followed Michel Roux’s recipe here.
This is the tastiest burger I’ve had in a long time and the patty definitely had some “meat” to it if you know what I mean. I omitted peppers from this recipe but feel free to throw them into the saute pan for some extra heat this summer!
28oz black beans
1/2 onion diced
3 garlic gloves minced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika powder
1/4 c bread crumbs
1/4 c oat flour
1/2 c shredded pepper jack cheese
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sriracha mayo
salt and pepper to taste
(makes 6 patties)
- Spread the black beans on a sheet pan and dry out in the oven for 15 mins at 325F / 160C
- Sauté the onion and garlic until soft
- Put into a food processor with the remaining ingredients and pulse to your desired texture
- I like mine a bit chunky!
- Form into patties
- Cook on a cast iron skillet on medium heat for a nice sear about 5 mins on each side
- Top with your favs, I’m keeping it simple with cheese, bella mushrooms and fried shallots.
Let me know in the comments, what are your favorite burger toppings?